Sunday, June 12, 2011

A few things about Trek...

*Updated with more pictures- Monday, June 13*

Photobucket

I did not take my nice camera to Trek. Just took a little disposable one and haven't had a chance to get the pictures developed yet. This picture is one that our fantastic trek photographer took. I downloaded it from Facebook. But I wanted to share a few things about Trek and I will post pics when I get them.

1. This Trek was full of small miracles from beginning to end. From the experience of writing my song, to Mark not injuring his leg too badly, and many more that happened on Trek. More on those miracles to come...

2. It was an amazing experience to be a Ma and Pa- even though we were not with a family of youth. We were asked to be over one of the Stake families which included our fabulous Stake Presidency and their wives. We felt very inadequate to be in charge of such a wonderful group of spiritual giants.

3. The Women's Pull was- physically- probably the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Including giving birth to 4 children. My lungs and every muscle in my body were on fire like never before and we only went 3/8 of a mile. The pioneer women endured so much more.

4. The youth in our stake are amazing. It was such a privilege to be with them and feel of their spirit and their strength.

5. I was the ma of about 25 amazing adults. I love each one of them and feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to help them on this journey. We had so much fun- but more importantly, my testimony was strengthened by their faith, their strength, and their love and dedication to our Savior.

Monday, June 13- Ok I got my pictures developed today. They are not the greatest quality, but they turned out alright.

Photobucket
One of the coolest things about this Trek is that we were always the last handcart. It was awesome to see the line of carts in front of us. The only bad thing about being last is that the youth in our stake are animals! That first day, we pulled into camp 2 hours ahead of schedule! They kept a blistering pace the whole day and all of us oldies in the back had a hard time keeping up!
Mark's leg did just fine on Trek. I know I haven't shared the story of what happened to his leg so here is the short version.
Mark climbs up to the very top of a ladder about 10 days before Trek.
The ground is saturated and basically starts slipping out from under him.
He tries to jump clear of the ladder but ends up getting caught in the rungs.
The miracle of the whole thing is that he didn't break his leg. He leg was bruised from his thigh down to his shin and was very painful to walk on.
But while we were on Trek, he had no problems with it- just a couple of blisters on his feet. Miracles happen every day.

Photobucket
We witnessed a few miracles on our Trek. One girl had her foot ran over by a cart and broke her middle toe. She rode in the medical vehicle for a day, received a priesthood blessing and was able to participate in the rest of Trek- including the Women's Pull- with a broken toe.
I helped a family of beautiful girls up the hill in the Women's Pull. When we were done a couple of the girls were not doing so well and one of them passed out. They were both given blessings and were well enough to participate in the Hoe Down that night.

What an incredible experience. Even though I am sore and tired and missed my kiddos terribly, I am so thankful that I was blessed with this opportunity. I am excited to think that both Josh and Emma will be able to participate in the next Trek, 5 years from now. I hope they will both be excited to go.



4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had fun. I did have fun in New York but my heart was with all of you on Trek. I so wanted to be there. next time for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great trek they always are. It was fun having the kids here I wish I wouldnt have so camp oriented but I think they were fine with grandma taking wednesday to do camp stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like you had a lot of fun. One question? I don't remember seeing the pioneers with cool sunglasses on their face. Was that part of the costume? :) :) I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No- they didn't have sunglasses, but I'll bet they wish they did! They also didn't have the nice walking shoes that I was wearing. ;)

    ReplyDelete